K. Valdemara iela 1B, Riga
|Phone||67022335 or 67022434|
M, T, W, Th 8.30-17.30
The Cashier's Office of Latvijas Banka provides the following services:
1) exchanges the lats banknotes and coins for euro for natural persons;
2) sells euro collector coins and lats collector coins;
3) replaces damaged or mutilated euro and lats banknotes and coins with euro banknotes and coins;
4) exchanges euro banknotes and coins for other denominations
The Cashier's Office of the Liepaja Branch
|Address||Teatra iela 3, Liepaja|
|Phone||63480324 or 67022335|
|Working hours||9.00-15.00 (lunch break 12.00-12.45).|
1. Exchanges of lats for euro
Upon the respective transaction Latvijas Banka has the right to request the person to present a passport or person's identification card (ID card). Latvijas Banka executes transactions in the amount exceeding 15 000 EUR (10 542 LVL) only on the basis of the above documents.
2. Purchase of euro collector coins and lats collector coins
3. Replacing damaged euro and lats banknotes and coins
Latvijas Banka replaces damaged banknotes subject to the following:
- security features are discernible
- the face value can be detected
- there is no doubt as to their authenticity.
Torn banknotes are replaced where the remaining part of the banknote is larger than 51% of a whole banknote; it can be in one piece, or several parts of it can be glued together; there must be no doubt that the separate parts belong to the same banknote.
Should any banknote fail to meet the above requirements, the Bank shall mark it "Replacement refused" and, upon request of the customer, return it to him/her (with the exception of counterfeit banknotes).
Damaged coins are replaced subject to the following:
- the inscription of the coin's face value is discernible
- the coat of arms can be detected
- there is no doubt as to their authenticity.
Should any doubt arise regarding the authenticity of the banknote or coin submitted for replacement or where the size of the remaining part of a torn banknote cannot be detected, or should there be any other cause for doubt, e.g. the banknote has been burnt, bleached, washed, or any security feature is missing, the banknote is accepted for an experts' opinion on the basis of the customer's application, and the banknote experts' commission of Latvijas Banka is to decide on its replacement. A reply is issued within a fortnight.
Latvijas Banka neither replaces nor reimburses any losses incurred on account of counterfeit banknotes and coins and does not return counterfeits to the customer but transfers them to the police.
Upon the replacement of damaged euro and lats banknotes and coins, Latvijas Banka has the right to request the person to present a passport or person's identification card (ID card).
4. Exchanges of euro banknotes and coins for other denominations
At the Cashier's Office of Latvijas Banka euro banknotes or circulation coins can be exchanged for euro banknotes or coins that have not been in circulation, accepting no more than 100 coins at a time from one customer once a day.
If the number of coins submitted for exchange exceeds 100, they will be accepted for the purposes of recounting and verification at the cash processing centre of Latvijas Banka; the amount equivalent to the value of coins will be transferred to the customer's settlement account with a credit institution in Latvia or in another country of the European Union.
No more than five standard boxes of coins, irrespective of the number of coins they contain, will be accepted from a customer within a calendar month. One box contains ~1 400 small-denomination coins.
Unlimited number of coins will be accepted from the public benefit organisations* having submitted a written acknowledgement to Latvijas Banka, stating that they collect donations and specifying the type of fundraising and the approximate number of the coins to be exchanged. The amount equivalent to the value of coins will be credited to the respective organisation's settlement account with a credit institution in Latvia or in another country of the European Union.
The following amounts are exchanged and issued at a time:
- 250 coins that have not been in circulation – free of charge,
- more than 250 coins, only in rolls or starter kits – for a fee of 0.12 euro (VAT inclusive) per roll or starter kit to cover operating costs,
- euro banknotes can be exchanged for others of different denominations free of charge
Where the amount exchanged at a time exceeds 1000 euro or 500 coins of one denomination, please, contact firstname.lastname@example.org three days in advance.
* Public benefit organisations are associations and foundations, the aim indicated in the articles of association, constitution or by-laws of which is public benefit activities as well as religious organisations or the institutions thereof (hereinafter, religious organisations), which perform public benefit activities if such associations, foundations and religious organisations have been granted public benefit organisation status and if they use their income for activities of non-commercial nature and directed to ensuring public benefit activities (Section 3, Public Benefit Organisation Law).
5. Suspicious banknotes and coins accepted for examination
- check the authenticity of all suspect counterfeit euro and other currency banknotes and coins;
- provide an conclusion concerning any identified counterfeits.
All identified counterfeits are reported to the State Police for further investigation. The authenticity check is completed and a conclusion is provided to the requester within a period of one month (usually, within a much shorter period).
IMPORTANT – banknotes and coins can be submitted for examination at both Latvijas Banka Cashier's Offices in Riga and Liepāja as well as, at the moment, also at the nearest police precinct. Banknotes and coins submitted to the police are delivered to Latvijas Banka. Confirmed counterfeits are returned to the police and are not returned to the requester of authentication. Latvijas Banka does not exchange counterfeits for authentic banknotes and coins and does not compensate any losses incurred due to counterfeits.
When executing the respective transaction, Latvijas Banka may request to present the passport or ID card.